Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Nelle Morton - Silence and Speech

My dear friend Cathie reminded me this morning that Nelle Morton's essays in "The Journey is Home" started us out in a deep reflection of silence and speech many, many years ago.   In one of the essays she reflects on her experience in feminist support groups during the 1970's and talks about the way in which the women would "hear each other into speech" that was truthful and life giving.   That pregnant, attentive silence and deep hearing among the women.   She then says that if "In the beginning was the Word", what preceeded the Word was the Great Listening Ear at the Center of the Universe.   I still love that image and am soothed by it.   The importance of real community - the patience to be with each other in silence - the real interest in knowing each other deeply.

This morning, in the last chapter of "Practicing Catholic" I am reading James Carroll's reflections on the power of language and how it is that language connects us to God - or to the larger creative life if God is an alienating word - which it often is to people.

As an Interfaith Minister I have learned to communicate without the specific religious language of my own tradition -- but in these most recent reflections since I am reading and reflecting within my tradition it is so much easier to use that specific language.

I could probably write everyday for at least a year about silence and speech - maybe I will take that on at some point.   It is like breathing . . . .inhale and exhale both critical to sustaining life, both inextricably linked to each other as breath.

I have been in an exhale mode for most of the past 10 years and it has been exhausting.   It reminds me of a network chiropractor that told me over 30 years ago that my breathing was so shallow it was hardly enough to sustain life!   So I learned to breath more deeply and fully and it was an amazing turn around for me.   I still breath deeply and fully -- and I also realize that as important is the breathing of "action-inaction".   My commitment to myself this year is to have that balance restored to my life regardless of my external circumstances.

Again, dear Cathie gave me a wonderful Christmas present this year.   "The Paper Garden:   Mrs. Delaney (begins her life's work) at 72" by Molly Peacock.   Precognition?   Or just the knowledge of a life long friend?   It is a perfect gift in every way.   The book design is beautiful -- and the content inspiring.   I come into January of  2012 hoping that I will have the health and longevity to begin my life's work now --

Blessings to everyone this morning!

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment