Monday, January 9, 2012

Choose Life

Before you today is life and death . . . choose life so that you and your children may live.   A rough paraphrase from what I think is an important part of the Exodus text.   I first became aware of the importance of this text in the early 1980's at an interfaith service at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City.   The service was part of the demonstrations throughout New York City during the United Nations second session on nuclear disarmament.   Choose life so that you and your children may live.   Over all these years I come back again and again to reflect on this text.

This is the single most important choice we make in our lives - and each one of us makes it alone and for ourselves although the choice certainly has a dramatic effect not only on those around us but on all of creation.   And we don't only make the choice once for all time.   We make it over and over and over again in each instant of our life.   We can always alter our choice.  It is one of the many proofs of grace.

What is life giving and enhancing for you?   For me?   What paths and decisions lead to life and abundant life?    Why do some of us choose life and others not so much?

It has been five days since I wrote here and it is not because of the press of the Gallery as I had feared.   It was a combination of "life" intervening with time consuming and emotionally difficult tasks, and my inability to really know what I was feeling, how I was feeling and what was happening at a very deep level within me.  For those of you who know me well, it isn't often that it takes me days upon days to unravel those internal states of being.   This one was one of those life changing, life altering times.

And at the end of all the images and byways I have traveled during these days and nights it comes back again to what will I chooose -- life or death?   And can I find the love within myself to honor those who make different choices than I do?

I choose life -- for all its challenges it seems it is what compels me.   A friend once told me that human life requires great mastery because by its very nature it is filled with loss.   That is certainly true.   And along with the loss that always comes, it is also filled with great beauty.

Last week I promised you a post of the beautiful blessing stick that Bonnie Tarses made for me so here it is:


Bonnie wove this beauty for me from colors I chose and a word I gave her with a deep intention.   It seems perfect to put into this lovely vase made by a North Carolina potter.   And here is a "plug" for Bonnie Tarses, my friend who is "An Artist Who Happens to Weave".   Visit her website at www.bonnietarses.com and join her blog at http://weavingspirit.blogspot.com   and I promise you, you won't be disappointed.   It will be a feast for your eyes and your spirit.

Beauty is the balm for my soul and in the hard times, and these past 5 days rank right up there with the hardest times of my life, it is beauty and love that carry me through.   So thanks to all those artists and friends who make both of these so available to me.

So I choose life - and as hard as it is, I will also choose to find honor and respect for those I have loved who make a different choice.   That one is a greater challenge, but I do believe I am up to it!

May your days be filled with beauty and life - and may you choose abundant life!

Donna

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Donna. It is so uplifting for me to see your prayer stick. There were times when choosing life was a daily challenge. So far this year is heaven on earth for me. How the wheel turns....

    ReplyDelete