Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Balance and Harmony

Now it gets interesting -- I chose red for the color of font because today is a day for high alert - translated into high awareness!

The Hangin Art Gallery re-opened this morning at 7 AM after 10 days of rest for me and for the building - and for my staff to have time with family over the Christmas and New Year break.   Those of you who have been following my musings know that I have determined (without much surprise) that I am not well suited by nature to retail.   The pressure of time, the need to be in such non-stop extrovert mode, the physical demands all are at odds with my natural inclinations.

Yet -- and this is one of the central dichotomies of my life -- the desire to serve the community, the joy of offering hospitality, the rewards of being in the midst of the beauty and creativity of the artists whose works hang on the walls of the Gallery and whose books and fine crafts are available here -- all these things are in almost exact "counter balance" to my needs for privacy, control over my time, silence.

Part of the time "off" over the last ten days was to see if I could find a renewed enthusiasm for the Gallery.   The past two years business has been off dramatically, as it has for all the small retail businesses in this area (and probably in most of the country).   I know that if we are to re-build this business, I have to have a sense of enthusiasm for it, as well as my employees.    So my decision to close in order to catch my breath - and to reopen on a Wednesday to Saturday schedule - are designed to help me find balance, harmony and renewed enthusiasm.

So - today's test -- could I actually find "time" in the midst of these demands -- for this blog?   Guess I did!  

In the days ahead it will take a strong awareness of myself in the midst of these events to help me weave a fabric of joy and integrity and creativity from the many and diverse activities in which I participate - and the non-activity I need.   Great thanks for my friend Bonnie Tarses - an artist who happens to weave -- for bringing weaving into my life again, and for creating a beautiful "anchor" for my heart intentions that sits on teh shelf over my desk!   Tomorrow I'll post a photo of that lovely piece of art.

More wisdom from my spiritual friends -- years ago they insisted that in this lifetime it is possible for me to be "in the world and in the contemplative hermitage" at one and the same time.   So I am going to proceed with the belief in what is now present and unseen - the way forward to have all of this in one life filled with peace and joy.

Many blessings to everyone

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment