Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Aunt Helen and Baklava

This morning I am inspired by lots of things including the sparkling diamonds the moon created from last night's snow.   But Aunt Helen and baklava won out.



Tonight we will be serving our homemade baklava along with Greek dinner entrees while we listen to the wonderful music of Baba Ganoush Snyder Duo at the Hangin Art Gallery here in Arlee Montana.

I thought it was funny that I was making the baklava while I watching Julie Julia for the 2nd or 3rd time.   At least I wasn't trying to make it in one of those Queens kitchens (you should excuse the expression, as my Jewish friends' mothers would say).

Whenever I cook Greek food or make baklava I have these amazing and lovely thoughts of my Aunt Helen.   Her parents were from Greece and she married my grandmother's brother so we had the great good fortune of eating amazing dinners and wonderful baked treats at Aunt Helen and Uncle Julie's house.   Their son Vincent taught me to dance Greek dances in their living room while enticing aromas drifted in from the kitchen on the main floor and sometimes from the downstairs kitchen as well.

Vincent was my favorite cousin and I was always sad that he lived in Syracuse instead of Brooklyn because it meant I didn't see him enough to suit me in those growing up years.   In fact all three of Aunt Helen and Uncle Julie's sons were cousins that brought me lots of joy.

When my father was transferred to a Xerox plant in Rochester, it meant lots more time with my Aunt Helen and Uncle Julie.   By that time I was a grown woman living in New York City and then Montana - but whenever I visited my parents we would make the short trip to Syracuse to be with Aunt Helen, Uncle Julie and those great Syracuse cousins and their families too.

So this morning I am happy thinking about them and all of our good times.   And I am feeling very fortunate to have these wonderful memories as part of my life.

Blessings,
Donna

1 comment: